You can put out your household waste (alternating residual waste and compostable waste (leftovers of vegetables, fruit and potatoes) at the bin collection point/cluster point in a rubbish bin provided by the municipality. The dates of the collection days are listed on the rubbish-collection calendar and at link) Occupants of high-rise buildings can dispose of their rubbish in the communal bins close to the complex at any time.

Residents in the outlying areas and in high-rise buildings will not receive a bin for compostable waste.

Separate your rubbish (afval scheiden)
The municipality asks you to separate your rubbish so that it can be processed in the most environmentally-technically responsible way. It means that you should put compostable waste (from vegetables, fruit and garden rubbish) in a separate bin to the bin in which you put “residual waste”. The waste flows for plastic packaging and old paper are also collected every month door-to-door. If you separate your rubbish properly, you will notice you have more plastic rubbish than residual waste. That is why we have decided to only collect your household waste once every four weeks and to collect plastic rubbish once every two weeks.

Large families have the non-recurrent option of applying for one extra grey 240-litre bin if it is not practical for their rubbish to be collected only once every four weeks. If you are interested in an extra bin, you can pay the fee at the Customer Service Centre in the town hall and the bin will be delivered to your home.

Rubbish disposal (afval storten)
You may only dispose of waste or rubbish at the designated collection areas, such as civic amenity sites (tips) or at an authorised collection company. Disposing of rubbish or waste in other places is prohibited.

- Conditions (Voorwaarden)

Put your rubbish bins ready on the street on the collection day, by 7.30 a.m. at the latest. They must be brought back inside before 6 p.m Obviously, this does not apply to people who use a communal bin.

 Rubbish will only be collected if you put it out for collection correctly. In all other cases, the dust-bin men will leave the rubbish.

“Correctly” means the following:

  • The rubbish is separated according to type;
  • The bins may not contain any rubble or sand/earth/soil;
  • Preferably, the residual waste in packed in bin liners;
  •  The bin is not over-full (no more than 60 kg);
  • There should be no rubbish either on or next to the bin;
  • The bin should be placed so that the handle is turned towards the road;
  • The bin should be presented with its lid closed;
  • Only bins that are presented at the cluster point will be emptied.

- The procedure (Gang van zaken)

Collection routes (Ophaalroutes)
The bins should ready on the street on the collection day, by 7.30 a.m. at the latest. They must bbrought back inside before 6 p.m Obviously, this does not apply to people who use a communal bin. If your bin weighs more than sixty kilograms, the collection service will not empty it.  

The collection route calendar (Afvalroute kalender)
Would you like to know when your grey or your green bin will be emptied and when your waste paper needs to be put out for collection? It’s very easy to install the AfvalWijzer App on your mobile phone or tablet to check your personal digital rubbish collection calendar. Or you can check the rubbish collection route or the waste paper collection route that applies to your district at link)

- Costs (Kosten)

Rates in 2019 (Tarieven 2019)

Waste collection taks (Afvalstoffenheffing)

The bylaw on waste collection tax 2019 (verordening afvalstoffenheffing 2019) which lists the rates is available via this link(externe link).

The costs of exchanging the grey bins (Kosten omwisselen grijze container)

If you move to a new address, you can exchange the grey bin (a small one for a large one) once within a month of your registration). If you want to exchange it at a later time, it will cost € 28.20 per exchange.

An extra grey bin (Extra grijze container)

An extra 240-litre grey bin for large families: non-recurrent charge of € 57.20

- Background (Achtergrond)

The Municipality of Waalwijk is a “Diftar” municipality; the differentiated rates depend on frequency and weight. Diftar is an abbreviation of DIFferentiated TARriff. In the Diftar system, everyone pays according to the principle “the polluter pays, the preventer saves”. The aim of Diftar is to reduce residual waste and to share the costs fairly. The less residual waste needs to be collected, the less everyone pays. Rates differentiation (Diftar) applies to the waste collection tax.  Diftar is a system in which the residents of Waalwijk pay part of the waste collection tax in relation to the amount of waste put out for collection.   

- Tips

Acquiring or replacing a rubbish bin (Afvalcontainer verkrijgen of vervangen)

You are doing the right thing if you separate rubbish for collection but to separate it at home, you will need bins. The grey bin is for the residual waste and the green one is for compostable waste (vegetable, fruit and garden rubbish). All premises also have an “environment bin” for minor chemical waste (KCA). The bins are on loan from the Municipality of Waalwijk and belong to the plot.

Moving: (Verhuizing:) 

If you have a change of address, you must notify the Public Affairs Department (Afdeling Publiekszaken). After the bins have been emptied for the last time before the date of your move, you must clean and dry the bins and store them in the house.  Please get in touch with the KCC on line 0416 683 456 if you have any questions or want to report an unusual matter. It is also possible to arrange that your bin(s) are emptied one month after you have moved out or after your home has been cleared. If you want to make use of this facility, please fill in the form “user agreement for private rubbish bins” (gebruiksovereenkomst afvalcontainers particulieren) which is available under the tab “Documents”.

Exchanging bins (Container omwisselen)

If you move to a new address, you can exchange the 140-litre grey bin for a 240-litre bin once within a month of your registration.

I have lost my bin. What do I do now? (Ik ben mijn container kwijt. Wat nu?)

If you can’t find your bin, you must notify the KCC as quickly as possible so the bin will be blocked for emptying. If you find the bin again, you can ask the KCC to de-block it. If the bin has not been recovered within two weeks after your report, you will receive another bin from the municipal authorities. The missing bin will remain blocked and cannot be put out for emptying any more.

My bin is broken (Kapotte container)

If you bin has been broken, please notify the KCC so it can be repaired or replaced.

- Contact hours